We’re extremely proud to be celebrating the 8th anniversary of .xyz’s launch and the amazing .xyz community that has developed over the years. With over 4 million registrations, .xyz surpassed .info in 2022, becoming the #4 generic domain ending. To put this meteoric rise into perspective: at 8 years old, .xyz is only trailing 3 generic domains from the 1980s.
.XYZ community members are pioneering innovative technologies, creating influential works of art and entertainment, and developing projects designed to make a positive impact on the world. .XYZ remains a top choice for those that value freedom and versatility online – especially true for the rapidly growing blockchain community. This year TechCrunch took notice of .xyz and published an article on the web3 popularity of .xyz titled “WTF is .xyz?”
We asked a few of our blockchain end-users to share their thoughts on xyz:
Agora DAO co-founder Réka of Agora.xyz stated:
“We chose .xyz because it symbolizes decentralization and the new wave of web3 applications.”
Tech entrepreneur Ryan Junee (Ryan.xyz) shared:
“.XYZ is popular with technologists, particularly in web3, and sends a subtle message of being ‘in the know’. I personally chose .xyz because I wanted an ENS domain that was also publicly accessible in the browser (unlike .eth) and .xyz was the first to support this.”
Web3 chat platform NftyChat.xyz CEO Alex Slobodnik shared:
“.XYZ felt new and fresh, just like web3.”
We’re equally supportive of the blockchain community, and thoroughly enjoy seeing all of the innovative ideas being launched on .xyz. Along with web3, there are exciting accomplishments happening on .xyz in diverse markets all around the world. Highlighted here are a few websites that stood out to us this year:
Notable market influencers
- FOX Entertainment’s NFT studio BCL.xyz, which partnered with Dolly Parton to launch “Dollyverse,” an audience-focused web3 experience that debuted at 2022’s Austin-based film and music festival South by Southwest (SXSW).
- Venture capitalist Kevin Rose’s NFT-focused podcast Proof.xyz, which led to the development of his utility-enabled NFT collection Moonbirds.xyz.
- Grammy-nominated DJ Steve Aoki’s NFT community A0k1verse.xyz, whose members can gain exclusive access to live and virtual concerts.
- Financial services-focused Block.xyz (formerly Square, Inc.), which officially rebranded on December 10, 2021 to acknowledge their growth beyond their Square product, and to signal their intention of expanding their roster of products and services.
- Paramount’s experiential NFT marketplace StarTrek.xyz, whose debut collection of algorithmically-generated starship NFTs sold out in just minutes of being released.
- Bored Ape Yacht Club’s Otherside.xyz, a metaverse-based game where players can turn their NFTs into playable characters.
Innovative blockchain pioneers
- Mirror.xyz, a publishing platform that provides tools for writers to crowdfund their projects through the sale of NFTs..
- Paradigm.xyz, a web3-focused venture capital firm co-founded by Forbes-featured billionaire Fred Ehrsam, who announced a record-breaking $2.5 billion venture fund.
- Manifold.xyz, an NFT platform where Jay-Z and other web3 creators mint their digital assets with baked-in smart contracts.
- Crypto music publishing platform Sound.xyz, which raised $5 million in a seed round led by the a16z Crypto division of technology venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz.
- Davatar.xyz, an online platform which helps you to create a unique avatar for all of your digital wallets and crypto websites that make up the web3 ecosystem.
Arts and entertainment tastemakers
- Content creator Sarah Wohlner’s recipe blog SaltandPepper.xyz, which attracts fans and visitors from Sarah’s popular Tik Tok account with over 748K followers and over 14M likes.
- England-based 3D designer, artist, and software instructor Erindale.xyz, whose design work was selected and immortalized on leading 3D computer graphics software Blender’s splash screen.
- Crypto culture pioneer and artist Karsen Daily’s 27Times.xyz, a collection of original poetry minted on the Ethereum blockchain and sold as NFTs over a 24 hour, no-minimum, no-reserve auction.
- Australia-based digital artist Serwah.xyz, who was selected to be part of Sotheby’s curated NFT collection, Natively Digital: A Curated NFT Sale.
- Virginia-based Creative agency ArtsandLetters.xyz, whose widely viewed Google Assistant’s Home Alone Again media campaign received over 36 million views in 24 hours and became the number one trending video on YouTube.
- ForceofNature.xyz, a youth-led nonprofit organization empowering Gen Z to step up in the face of climate crisis.
- SuperstarX.xyz, a multimedia collective aimed at destigmatizing and celebrating our differences, with a goal of connection and eradicating oppression.
- Fingerspelling.xyz, an educational resource created by nonprofit organization American Society for Deaf Children (ASDC) to help families of deaf and hard of hearing children learn American Sign Language (ASL).
- TheHug.xyz, a women-led community platform aimed at developing a more equitable web3 landscape.
- Kindling.xyz, a nonprofit organization that works to remind the world that humanity is beautiful, with hopes of transforming cynicism and despair into possibility and action within young, potential changemakers.
We greatly appreciate the support of our partners who have helped us achieve a truly global reach, empowering everyone around the world to find their own .xyz. Thanks to our global network and their customers, worldwide adoption has made .xyz a top choice for over 4 million domains and counting. Partners like GoDaddy, Namecheap, Onamae, Alibaba, and many more have all helped deliver the message that .xyz truly is “for every website, everywhere®.”
Eth.xyz and Blockchain
The .xyz blockchain community has grown exponentially since XYZ first worked with the Ethereum Name Service (ENS) to enable ETH wallet pairing with .xyz domains. The growth was noticed by TechCrunch writer Anita Ramaswamy, who published an article titled “WTF is .xyz?” To keep supporting the innovative blockchain community, this year we developed another web3 project called eth.xyz, a service aimed to help ENS users share what they want with the world. With eth.xyz, we enabled all .eth name holders to display their ENS profiles in all web browsers with .xyz. The ENS profiles serve as a hub for all the important public information connected to an .eth name, such as NFTs and wallet addresses. To use it, just add “.xyz” to the end of any .eth name in any web browser and the corresponding ENS profile will display (i.e. Maaria.eth = Maaria.eth.xyz).
We are constantly in awe of the many forward-thinking web3 developers launching their projects on .xyz domains and can’t wait to see the new ideas that come to life in the year ahead.
XYZ got .Game, and so much more
In March 2022, we introduced 10 more domain endings in the XYZ family: .Game, .Guitars, .Audio, .Christmas, .Diet, .Flowers, .Hosting, .Pics, .Mom, and .LOL These new additions bring our Registry’s total offerings to 33! 8 years in, and our commitment to versatility remains strong. You can use this diverse range of domains to establish your brand online and signify your devotion to your community.
Brands, individuals, and organizations all over the world are already using .Game, .Guitars, .Audio, .Christmas, .Diet, .Flowers, .Hosting, .Pics, .Mom, and .LOL to build their websites and establish their brands online:
- Metaverse-based Webb.Game is a blockchain game where players can use their NFTs as in-game avatars and pets.
- High-end microphone and headphone brand Austrian.Audio creates professional audio tools for sound engineers, musicians, and content creators.
- Guitar shop Max.Guitars carries new and used instruments from the leading guitar brands.
- Canada-based Christmas show Laberge.Christmas shares the details of their computer-animated light show on its seasonal website.
- Australia-based floral designer XavierNicolle.Flowers offers floral design services for weddings and special events.
- Recipe database MyHealth.Diet aims to benefit health with the power of proper nutrition.
- Web hosting service provider Touchstone.Hosting aims to make their customers’ websites fast, reliable, and secure.
- Web exhibit platform Coten.Pics provides online photo publishing services for budding photographers.
- Education platform TalkBox.Mom aims to help parents teach their children how to speak foreign languages.
- Social network OMG.LOL is helping their audience create the “most fun online presence that they’re ever had.”
XYZ Registry Domains Report
This year we introduced the XYZ Registry Domains Report. This monthly report shares exciting highlights in domain sales from the previous month, including which XYZ domains took the lead and the highest aftermarket sales of the month. You can use the Domains Reports to learn about aftermarket sales, try our tools for browsing featured available domains, and see inspiring businesses and innovative new ideas launching on XYZ premium domains. You can keep up with emerging trends – including the blockchain industry’s particular interest in .xyz – by subscribing to the .xyz newsletter.
The XYZ Registry continues to have a no-tolerance policy for abuse in our zones. This year we were recognized by Spamhaus with a series of collaborative blog posts regarding abuse and acceptable use best practices. Our proprietary Anti-Abuse Technology continues to keep the XYZ namespace safe and, according to Spamhaus, .xyz generally has a lower badness index score than most legacy TLDs. XYZ has also joined the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) and continues to actively seek out opportunities to collaborate on cybersecurity.
XYZ provides domains for coders at 121 hackathons around the world
This year, XYZ proudly supported 121 hackathons across the globe, and supplied determined coders with a platform to launch their inventive ideas online. By developing partnerships with organizations like Indonesia-based Generation Girl, which works to inspire young women to become leaders in the historically male-dominated STEM fields, XYZ continues to empower generations of internet users to turn their dreams into reality.
We’d like to thank our worldwide community for helping us reach the 8-year mark. We couldn’t have done it without you, and we look forward to sharing many more achievements together.